Check the list of our volunteers here
Do you also want to do your bit for nature? Here's your chance!
Volunteer for us...
|From the comfort of your couch||Travel and Teach||The Director's Cut||Help us during Turtle Festival||Be an SNM Ambassador|
Volunteer for Vulture Status Survey
The Gyps population of vultures has witnessed declines of more than 90% in the past two decades. Three vulture species- the Oriental White-rumped vulture (Gyps bengalensis), the Long-billed vulture (Gyps indicus) and the Slender-billed vulture (Gyps tenuirostris) have been classified as Critically Endangered by IUCN. Of these, the Oriental White-rumped vulture (Gyps bengalensis) and the Long-billed vulture (Gyps indicus) are found in Maharashtra. Sahyadri Nisarga Mitra has been studying and working for the conservation of the vulture colony at Anjarle, tal. Dapoli, dist. Ratnagiri since the past nine years.
In order to efficiently conserve the vulture populations within Maharashtra, a complete status survey of the state needs to be undertaken. Only once their population, nesting colonies, feeding sites and the threats they face are determined can a conservation strategy be devised to save our remaining vultures.
Sahyadri Nisarga Mitra invites volunteers willing to carry out a status survey of the vulture population in Maharashtra.
A basic knowledge of bird identification is necessary. The volunteer should be willing to dedicate one to three days for the activity.
What is the volunteer expected to do?
Carry out the survey at a site near his place of residence where vulture nesting colonies are/were present in the recent past. He is supposed to keep a lookout for any vulture activity. Along with this, he will be provided a questionnaire form that is to be filled in through interactions with local people. He is also required to take photographs of the activities carried out during this period. At the end of the volunteering period, a report of the survey, the questionnaires and photographs taken during the survey will have to be submitted to the organization.
Expenses for bus/bike travel to the site and food and on-site accommodation allowances will be provided by Sahyadri Nisarga Mitra for a maximum of two persons.
The survey will start from 1st October.
Click to download the required forms for Vulture Status Survey:
Volunteer for us...
- Help us compile the season's turtle data consisting of number of nests, egg, hatchlings, villages etc.
- Let your creative side do the talking! Design posters that will spread awareness in villages across the Konkan. You can also contribute by conceptualizing and designing various reports and logos.
- Help us make presentations on the following topics: Importance of Marine Turtles, Vulture Conservation, and Biodiversity of Konkan/India. If you have new ideas, do contact us.
- Software folks, you are welcome to help us in programming and development of websites.
- Volunteer to translate our reports (Marathi-English).
- Conduct lectures, presentations and film shows in schools. (preferably in Marathi)
- Conduct workshops on eco-friendly concepts like recycling waste, making articles out of used coconut shells, making nest boxes etc.
- Organize awareness campaigns in villages for our projects on Marine Turtle Conservation and Vulture Conservation. (preferably in Marathi)
- If you are fond of making films on Nature, or already have a film that you would like to contribute for our Conservation activities, please contact us.
- Work with us to develop commentaries and translate our films into different languages so that the message of nature conservation may reach far and wide.
- Help SNM and the Kasav Mitra Mandal ensure effective management of tourists during the Turtle festival at Velas. This will include arranging for home stay, maintenance of the tourist register, etc.
- Conduct lectures and presentations on Marine Turtles and their role in the environment, Life cycle of Marine turtles and related topics for tourists.
- Visit our office and help us save data about the turtle nests, hatchlings released during the festival in a soft format.
- Note: All on-field volunteers will have to compulsorily register with SNM first.
Do you like our work? Would you like to involve more people in our activities? Here is a way for you to do it!
Write to us and sign up to be our ambassador. As an ambassador, you can spread word about SNM's activities through slideshows and film screenings in educational institutions/corporations anywhere in the world. You can rally around nature supporters and increase our base of well-wishers. You can also lend a hand by helping to raise funds for our organization. Join us now!